Friday, July 18, 2008

Timpanogos Cave

Only 15 minutes away from our house, up American Fork Canyon, is Timpanogos National Monument. Joe hiked it last year with his YM group, but I haven't been there since I was a teenager, and our kids had never been there, so we decided to make a day of it and go! The mile and a half hike up is pretty steep, but we started at 7:30 am to beat the heat. The kids did great marching up the mountain side and the cave was absolutely worth it!McKayla loved when they turned off all of the lights and we were in TOTAL darkness. I liked seeing the "heart of Timpanogos" and I was happy to see the "salt and pepper shaker" formation that I remember seeing as a kid. Kyle loved all of it - especially the "carmel sundae" room. Josh held my hand and led me through the cave with helpful hints like "Step up now, Mommy" and "Watch your head!". Joe's favorite part was the hike back down the mountain. After the hike we crossed the street and had a little picnic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was an awesome cave i loved all that you said and more thanks for taking us mom.

Kate said...

I love timpanogos cave. I remember going there as a kid. I wish we lived closer to be able to go.